Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Because One Small Kindness Can Save The World...


I Have Done SomethingI looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society.
I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness, and betrayal. And I was angry.
"God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?"
God was silent for a moment, and then He spoke softly, "I have done something," he replied. "I created you."-- Author Unknown"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"


Dawn on Day 1

Last year, in February 2012, mom found Dawn. She was the beginning. There have been babies we've cared for and love for nearly my entire life who we have rescued and kept, passed on for another family to love or, on a few sad instances, helped to cross the Rainbow Bridge. Dawn was different. She challenged mom even more. She was the spark that lit her fire. Right there that day, Fighting For Dawn began.

Dawn 2.5 weeks later
Through much hard work, and much help from others too, Mom was able to make Fighting For Dawn an official animal rescue foundation at the end of last year, 2012. FFD has helped so many animals since it's very beginning with Dawn, then Martin, and on and on. At last count there were 21 directly through our family alone, about 14 in other rescues. FFD has reached out and help so many animals and opened so many hearts to the love an animal can bring- and the love my mom taught me growing up as a rescuer. I can't imagine any other upbringing.


Dawn 3 months later...
If I could count the number of animals the love my parents has helped, I'd be counting for days. I can't remember the endless number of animals we've helped- either transporting on a leg of their trip across the country; bottle feeding an orphaned baby; bandaging wounds of hit, beaten, and even shot animals; sometimes just holding them as they crossed the Rainbow Bridge (because no one should ever die alone and feeling unloved). We're going to have a serious herd of animals coming to greet us when we cross over the Rainbow Bridge. The love and compassion my parents have taught me towards life has made me a better person and a better mother.
The Queen now!

Then there are you guys. You have helped us monetarily, with food, with old blankets and bedding, with transport, with medication and vitamins, and even with your heartfelt prayers. Your words of encouragement are like gold. Without all of you there would be no Fighting For Dawn. We couldn't do this without you. Dawn is the heart and the purpose but you are the lifeblood. I've met such nice and amazing people through this dream come true. There are truly no words I can express to say how much you mean to us- to me. I know you don't see me as much, Dawn's Oldest Sister, but still... I'm forever grateful for each and every single one of you.
And now we're an official, licensed rescue. We received our license just today. So many years, tears, and lives saved and our dream has come true. Mom's biggest dream. Now we can help even more and reach out even farther. Our hearts are joyous and overflowing. What happy, fantastic, amazing day.



Love from all of us-

Denise, David, Elizabeth, Hannah, Charlie, Emmy, and, of course, Dawn.


1 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration, and I am so grateful to you, for the heart you have for these precious lives. Thank you for rescuing, you give me more hope for the human race, and you prod me to be better.

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright 2012 Mommy Is A Nerd. Powered by Blogger
Blogger by Blogger Templates and Images by Wpthemescreator
Personal Blogger Templates